Casting at night for walley

Moderators: Probait, jewelry thief

bobkrenn

Casting at night for walley

Postby bobkrenn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:02 am

I will be in Port Huron the last week of this month to jig the river up from the Bluewater Bridge. I would like to try some casting for walleys at night. From what I have read on different forums 3" paddle tail grubs/swimbaits work good as well as body baits fished around low current areas with weeds. I will be fishing the American Side only, should I look at areas in the upper,middle,or lower river? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Bob

Pesky

Re: Casting at night for walley

Postby Pesky » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:33 am

We use walk the board walk jigging and swimming stick baits at st Clair. People walking along drinking wine from the holiday inn .haven't done in years. To rig up we use 1/2 oz jig white twister tail then run a rapala 4' behind that. No much current there always jigged it down river just walk slow jigging did pretty well and never seen anyone else doing it. Fish always hit the rapala ... we do it in the summer remember one time going in late dec thinking not going to catch anything was like best night we ever had. Back then we mostly use to anchor up just above the bridge past the paper mill 22 fow get the boat even with the brake wall chug with 300 foot wire line chugging reels we called them now days it's called whipping and they use rod and reel must like the work out not sure .coast guard won't let you anchor up there now days. They saved my dad from complete disaster. He's running the boat told my cousin ok drop the anchor cousin threw anchor and all the rope same time anchor rope got hung up in his prop killing the outboard now he's flying down river backwards known that anchor grabs boats going under scrambling for life jackets coast guard jumping the boat taking control saving them . It was pinch black out know idea how they knew it or how fast the coast guard. Like true supper hero's coast guard does amazing jump . But anyway that's how we fished back then some nights east wind was slow but most nights in was on . Might go one night 20" to 24" fish next night there running smaller. Haven't done that sense having kids wouldn't risk it people gave us some pretty good scares not realizing were anchor. Now that there grown should start going again got a big light to shine them boats not seeing anchored up
Boat Name the Raven critterremovalmi.net

bobkrenn

Postby bobkrenn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:44 am

Thanks for sharing!

Probait

Postby Probait » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:46 am

Great reply. Thanks Pesky!

Return to “Port Huron”